Tuesday 13 June 2023

"Goblin-soldiers of greater stature ..."


 Some newly kitbashed orcs: I bought these stumpy Hail Caesar Romans some time ago with the notion of turning them into the Uruk-hai of Isengard. They have the short stature, the short swords and broad builds of Tolkien's descriptions. 

To go the whole hog, I'd need to give them long bows of yew, but I may end up keeping them much as they are to be deployed as 'blades' in Hordes of the Things and, en masse, as goblin rabble buffed with some magic items in Kings of War. And, when I have enough made, they can be used as 'Romans' in Impetus (with less disciplined goblins acting as auxiliaries). I'll probably give them the White Hand on their shields, though. The description is of "a small white hand in the centre of a black field"; the large bosses of the scuta makes it difficult to place a small hand in the centre of the shield itself, but by putting the 'black field' in the upper half of the shield, I can probably achieve the correct effect (and take some artistic licence in the bottom half - checks or other colours or whatever).

It's the "short, broad-bladed swords" that have always made me think of Roman legionaries - though I'm doubtless influenced by this old White Dwarf cover by Angus Fieldhouse:






1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me. I'd forgotten that cover, my first issue was the one before!

    ReplyDelete