Friday 10 February 2023

Zorn orc


I've been intrigued by the Zorn palette for a while. As I'm going to be dabbling in a little Mordheim, I thought I'd try it out on an otherwise goofy GW orc for a bit of added grimdark. My only cheats were the base (burnt umber, grey and white, plus a green wash on the rocks), the metallics (Vallejo steel plus Agrax plus silver highlights) and the blood-effect paint (Citadel Blood for the Blood God). Otherwise, he was entirely painted with these colours:



I plan to do a whole warband in the same style, though I'll try to mix up what goes where. It's a lot of fun painting with such Dogme-style restrictions; I only wish the daylight had been a bit brighter here today, so that I could have taken a better photo of such a dark figure!



 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing work! Haven't heard of the Zorn palette until now, very interesting. The orc looks proper grimdark, works really well. Never would've guessed that you didn't use a green colour, great reminder what one can achieve with a limited palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I really like the dark skin tone on this guy. Great work!

    ReplyDelete