Monday 29 April 2019

Some Rafm war newts


The Rafm reptiliad range has been around since the 1980s, with part of it going through a major redesign: the main lizardmen became bigger and beefier. The reptiliads were supported by "gila worms" - a bit like the newtlings of RuneQuest.

These "war newts" were the mounts of the gila worms. But although I have riders for two of them, I thought I'd leave these war newts riderless: they'll work well in RPGs as some sort of giant axlotl or other subterranean amphibian. As they look very vaguely anthropomorphic too, they could even be an intelligent species - something like D&D troglodytes.

These are very rough paintjobs; I increasingly think that "one evening an encounter" is the best approach to dungeon-stocking. So I started these once the kids were in bed and called them done when my own bed beckoned. I might touch the paintwork up in one or two places, but they're tabletop-ready, I reckon. I plagiarised the black eyes with the three dots of light from Ana at Gardens of Hecate, after pictures of axlotls confirmed that they have black eyes (rather than red/pink ones).

I'm going to apply the axlotl(ish) scheme to the gila worms themselves. A brief forage revealed seven or eight of them. And I might find some alternative mounts for the newt riders.


3 comments:

  1. Very rough paint jobs? They look damn fine to me. Always rather liked the Reptiliads and picked up a bundle of them a couple of years ago , as yet unpainted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks! They're pretty rough and ready close up. I just did a basecoat, wash, basecoat highlights, lighter highlights. The figures are quite forgiving, though!

    Yes, the reptiliads are great. I particularly like the smaller, scalier, older ones.

    ReplyDelete