Monday 10 December 2018

An ogre and some more orcs


This is an old Chronicle ogre from the early 80s. The most celebrated 1980s ogres were the Citadel ones designed by Jez Goodwin, but much as I like those, I prefer the Chronicle ones. That's because they're less concerned with being shamans or gladiators or priests, but much more about the simple business of being ogres.

I painted another Chronicle ogre almost three years ago. I was pleased with him at the time, and he's been a mainstay of our skirmish games, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I might repaint him to match the one above and my recent orcs. At the very least, I'll rebase him to match. He's more subtly painted, but the end result is inferior to the more recent one, despite taking at least twice the time.


Here's a shot of the earlier Chronicle ogre with a Jez Goodwin ogre from the Golgfag's Regiment of Renown. There's no doubt that the modelling of the Goodwin ogre is technically better (and I think he's a great miniature), but there's something about the unabashed brutality of the Chronicle chap with the spiky shoe that gives him the edge, I think:


Anyway, the fate of the spiky-shoed axe-ogre will be decided after I've painted up all the remaining Chronicle and Grenadier orcs, goblins and ogres. I'm making no distinction between the various types: they work nicely alongside each other, in that the ogres look like outsized versions of the goblins, who are the same size as most of the orcs, and the largest orcs are bigger than the ogres.

These two orcs are from the N11 range: giant black orcs ("warlord" and "hero").



I got the bare-headed hero when I was a relatively small child; his left leg was miscast and missing, so I replaced it miliput then and with green stuff much later. This is its second time of painting; the green stuff survived the Biostrip intact:





The fourth orc is a large Grenadier one, and definitely the least interesting of the bunch. But he fills out the swelling ranks.



No comments:

Post a Comment