Wednesday 10 October 2018

A giant orc and some little ones too

Little and large

I've been painting up some of the glorious old Citadel C15 orcs recently - specifically the slottabased range sculpted by the Perry twins before Kev Adams took over orcish duties. It may be heresy to say so, but I actually prefer the Perry orcs; they're a little less cartoony and a good deal more Tolkien-esque (though most of them have grown a bit too big even for uruks).

Today, I received some 54mm 'toy soldier' orcs from Russia - ordered on a whim. I painted the first one up after the kids were in bed; they've staked claims on two of the remaining trio, but I should be able to paint one more myself.

The raw and the cooked


I'm quite pleased with how the 'giant orc' turned out, not least as he cost less than £2 including postage.

Here are a few more of his smaller kin:








4 comments:

  1. Your orcs look amazing and their shields are perfect! I've been eyeballing those Russian orcs for a bit now, they look pretty good better detailed then I'd expect. I'll have to grab a set for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, the Russian orcs are a bit of a bargain. I like the fact that at least three of the four look as if they've been designed as 28mm giants rather than as 54mm goblins: something to do with the relative size of their weapons, I think.

      Delete
  2. I envy both your talent and how prolific you are. Thanks for sharing the lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! By the way, I've been reading through your dungeon-crawl rules: very interesting stuff.

      Delete