Sunday 5 May 2019

Gnolls!


I assembled my last remaining Frostgrave gnolls last night and gave them a very quick bash with the brushes, along with a big Reaper gnoll to act as a matriarch.


I've tried various hyena-like schemes on gnolls before, but here I went with the Monster Manual's prescription:
Gnolls have greenish gray skins, darker near the muzzle, with reddish gray to dull yellow mane. 

 That's probably just a Gygaxian attempt to describe hyena colouring, but it gives a distinctive template for underworld monsters, so I went with it.


I painted these fellows very quickly, though I used a three-stage process on the armour and weapons to get them good and rusty. Everything else was just blocked in, drybrushed with silver-grey and then washed with an appropriate colour. Then I used some silver-grey to highlight the odd edge or spot here and there.


The Reaper gnoll is much, much bigger, but makes a suitably sizeable matriarch; I like to assume that gnolls have the same sort of sexual dimorphism as hyenas.




5 comments:

  1. Simply awesome. I love your colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, marvellous. When you say silver grey, is that a premixed colour? Cheers Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, checking your back posts I can see it's a Vallejo paint. Will try that out. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes, silver-grey's from Vallejo. I think it's basically identical to GW's Wych Elf Flesh. They're both a slightly warm, organic off-white/grey, so great for highlights on almost any thing. And they have a nice opacity, even when thinned right down. So you can achieve really good highlights with just a dab here or there.

      Delete