Sunday 18 July 2021

Tin Soldier orcs


 Here's a small band of orcs from the Tin Soldier. They must be around the cheapest 28mm fantasy miniatures around, at a quid a pop. The company also offers staggeringly good customer service. I got mine the next working day after ordering them, with postage coming in at £3. The Tin Soldier hydra is a brilliant old-school miniature and costs all of £4. The orcs are really nice figures that fit in quite well with Citadel's Fantasy Tribe range.



I've got another seven to paint up, which completes this particular range; Tin Soldier also offers some other orcs done in a very different style. I picked up some of the goblins, which match that style, and will finish them off soon. 


To me, these are just about perfect as D&D-style orcs: nasty-looking, but also scrawny (and hungry?), and just right for one-hit-die creatures. The fellow with the mace and the snakes would make a good tribal cleric. 


Rather charmingly, the chap in the horned helmet (above, centre) has a leather knapsack - for carrying off plunder and small morsels, presumably. The faces remind me of the troll in Jim Henson's The Storyteller. 


I'm painting up a lot of the Fantasy Tribe orcs in a similar style, and these will mix in nicely. 





11 comments:

  1. I've not seen these before and they are very nice. I always liked the other style of TS orcs which reminded me of a cross between Minifigs and Ral Partha. Looking forward to seeing the FT chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the other TS ones are like Ral Partha recreated by Minifigs. Possibly more of a challenge to paint, though - but perhaps not.

      Delete
  2. Got a real school vibe. Great

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are great looking orcs, and appear like they will fit in rather well with the Fantasy Tribe orcs as you mention. Looking forward to seeing them all painted up and mixed in with the rest of your gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I have a big batch of half-done ones that I must finish off ...

      Delete
  4. They are fantastic! Time warp to the 80s with a top notch paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, a better time when orcs kept off the anabolics!

      Delete
    2. I never saw it that way, lol.

      Delete
  5. I have several of these. Never managed to paint mine in a way that I was happy with. Yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete